Know the Facts
Fact: As Representative, Lonnie Sims Co-Sponsored Permitless Carry, Despite the Warnings and Risks
Michael Ross supports a return to Oklahoma's laws prior to November 1, 2019, and believes that Permitless Carry needlessly endangers Oklahomans everywhere.
Fact: Easy Access Is a Major Factor In Gun-Related Violence, Including Suicide.
As a candidate for State Representative in 2018, Lonnie Sims stated his belief that there is a correlation between school shootings are caused by "political correctness."3 Research into the root causes refutes his position, citing instead easy access to firearms4 and a lack of proper mental health care5,6
Michael Ross knows too well the destructive effect that insufficient mental health care and easy access to firearms has on Oklahoma families. He will support policies designed to keep individuals and communities safe and healthy above all else.
Fact: In Mailers Sent During the 2018 Campaign, Lonnie Sims Regularly Touted His NRA Credentials.
Lonnie Sims made it clear that he is a friend of the NRA. His record in the House supports this.
Michael Ross will never put a special interest group above the safety of our communities. He will never seek nor accept the approval of the National Rifle Association, a group who puts the profits of gun manufacturers ahead of the safety of our children.
- HB 2597 Vote, Third Reading. February 27, 2019
- HB 2597 Sponsors
- Bixby/Jenks PLAC Candidate Forum, October 25, 2018
- Cornell, D. "The Prevention of Gun Violence in Schools and Communities."
- Meloy, J., Hempel, A., Mohandie, K., Shiva, A., & Gray, T. "Offender and Offense Characteristics of a Nonrandom Sample of Adolescent Mass Murderers." J. AM. ACAD. CHILD ADOLESC. PSYCHIATRY. 40:6. 719-728.
- Chatterjee, R. "School Shooters: What's Their Path To Violence?" All Things Considered, 2/10/19.